Field of Dreams
incident.io ships with a set of commonly used fields for an incident, such as the severity and who's leading. However, a feature that virtually all of our customers have been asking for is the ability for them to add their own custom fields to incidents. They want to be able to track things that are specific to their business.
We're really excited to release Custom Fields to do exactly this. Custom Fields are a way for you to define the data that you want to collect on your incidents, and have incident.io collect it for you before, during or after an incident.
Here's a few examples of useful Custom Fields that we commonly see:
- System Affected, which would let us collect which systems were affected by a particular incident.
- Type, to reflect whether this is a Platform Incident, Security Incident, or HR Incident.
- Team, which denotes which team is primarily responsible for response, and follow-up.
For defining what data you collect, we currently support:
- Select: selecting a single value from a drop-down list
- Multi-select: selecting multiple values from a drop-down list
We'll shortly support collecting text values, number, booleans and dates.
We're really excited to have shipped this. It's another step towards incident.io becoming the single source of truth for all of your incident data within your organisation. We can't wait to see what you build with it.
To get started, head over to your Settings page and add your first Custom Field!
What we shipped
- 🆕 We've built a new Jobs page. If you like what you see here, then we'd love to talk to you!
- 💅 We've added an RSS feed link for our Blog. Thanks to SRE Weekly for the prod here!
- 👷🏽♀️ We've moved all of our infrastructure into Spacelift to make it far easier to manage. We were up and running in a day, and we're big fans so far. Check them out!
- 👷🏽♀️ We've hired Lisa and Lawrence, who will introduce themselves soon. As part of this, Lawrence put a lot of effort into making it as easy as possible to get started as an engineer. Lisa then used it the following week and got up and running in just a few hours.
- 👷🏽♀️ We used to allow you to carry on creating incidents indefinitely past your trial period. We now allow you to create a maximum of 3 incidents after your trial period before we ask you to become a paying customer. It's only fair, we think!
- 👷🏽♀️ We've made some huge improvements behind the scenes to our Jira integration to make it more flexible, and more powerful. This will allow us to power lots of exciting things in the future — more information to come!
- 🐛 Due to our strict Content Security Policy, some of our onboarding Loom videos were not being shown. We fixed that.