Stating the Obvious
One of the things we knew wouldn't last long was "open/closed" modelling of incident states.
That's not how any incident we've ever been part of has worked and although it got us off the ground, we've been embarassed about it ever since.
Your feedback told us the same thing, and we decided it was high time we fixed it.
Incidents can now be in several states:
- As soon as you kick off an incident, you'll be Investigating it
- Once you've figured out what's wrong, you'll be Fixing it.
- Once you think you've put a fix in place, you'll be Monitoring it.
- Once it's all over, the incident will be Closed.
These states can be controlled via Slack, and the timestamps can be updated via the web UI after the incident if any adjustments are needed later.
We think they're really useful for clearly communicating the progress of an incident to your team and stakeholders. Additionally, capturing this data lays the foundation for lots of interesting and useful insights, and we look forward to sharing those with you in the near future.
What we shipped
- 🆕 You can add postmortem links explicitly now
- 🆕 You can create actions from the dashboard, so if you'd rather follow up there rather than in Slack, you can
- 💅 Some of our Slack notifications were incredibly unhelpful and just said "content cannot be displayed". We found a way to make them displayable. Thanks to the fine folks at Ravelin for spotting that one.
- 💅 We now use the issue reference in the "open in X" links for Jira, Linear, GitHub issues etc (thanks, Future!)
- 💅 Sometimes you just want to export a follow-up action without assigning it to anyone. Now you can.
- 💅 We now announce when actions are unassigned, with the option for someone else to pick them up.
- 👷🏽♀️ We're a little smarter at matching users in Jira to users in incident.io than we were last week - every little helps!
- 🐛 We've added action completion times and links to external issue trackers to the generated postmortem documents (thanks GoCardless!)
- 🐛 When you completed actions via the dashboard, the completed_at wasn't updating
- 🐛 For organisations with lots and lots of Jira users, we weren't returning them all when assigning followup actions. Now everyone can pitch in, which feels much fairer (thanks Future!)
- 🐛 We more accurately reflect the "completion time" for actions updated via Jira and the web UI
- 🐛 If you talked to us in a thread, we responded in the main channel to let you know that doesn't work, which was weird. Now we keep the conversation threaded (thanks Ravelin!)